anime

★Events★ Nipponbashi Street Festa 2014

5:30 AM

Greetings everyone!! I hope your weekend went well because I have a pleasant treat for your Monday. :)

This past Friday, the 10th Nipponbashi Street Festa was held for 2014! I wrote about this event last year and well.. It hasn't changed much, but it's always nice to have a bit of constant in this busy place. If you want any event details, check out the old post as this post shall mostly consist of photos!

One bit that did change on my side was that I had a partner in crime, just as enthusiastic as myself. So we squealed and hunted down our favorite characters together while feeling a little less awkward than usual, and we were even able to chat with a few locals. An overall improvement from last year.

I will admit though, as my friend did too, that anime events in Japan seem... different. We were both invovled in a lot of the cons back in D.C., and I think a lot of people will agree that the atmosphere is very warm. It's so easy to walk around, and even when you're alone, and it's easy to find someone that you share a common interest in. In Japan, or at the very least at this street fest, it feels a little awkward sometimes. Like there are previously established groups that you have to know about beforehand (that applies in America, but less so to cons). And sometimes I felt like cosplayers were annoyed if I asked for a photo. I'm usually pretty good at reading people, and one would assume that going to event whose focus is for people to parade around in costumes means one desires to be photographed, so sometimes I was genuinely confused and just wanted to go up to them and say 'Why are you even hear?!'

But despite all that, we had a great time and took a lot of photo AND video. And since we like to be a little different that all those other sites about cosplaying in Japan, we should have quite the number of male cosplayers (and there were so many more we didn't photograph too!!).

The video will come a bit later but there should be a steady stream of photos on the tumblr to tide you over until then. ;)

Update: The video can be found at the bottom of this post! 

Enjoy!!

Nipponbashi Street Festa 2014

Last year, I got a shot of Skull Kidd so I was so stoked to see Link hovering by the main stage..!

 So yeah.. this is a Pedobear I guess since it's holding a pillowcase that has a very young looking girl with her vajayjay out. Can't say I've seen that at con in the States, and I consider myself lucky. Stay classy loli-con.
I thought this shot was a really bizarre yet accurate portrait of anime culture in Japan. This young girl, I guess it's a character, I wouldn't know, is surrounded completely by mostly older male and on-lookers and photographers, some kneeling for what we can only hope is dramatic perspective. (The blur was added for dramatic effect, but the look of disconcertment, intentional or no, which is worrying, was included in the original.)
 Enough social commentary, because MGS cosplay is the BEST cosplay.
 A ridiculously adorable and sweet SnK cosplayer..!
 Tiger & Bunny? HIS SPIKES ROTATE. Ferociously.
 So many SnK cosplayers. And so well done..
 Luluuu!! Y u so cute...
 RE Cosplay. Leon wanted my Sailor Jupiter sweatshirt and I was like "..Ok." I'm very easy.. Lol
 Sheeeeik. Y u not real guy...
 Awesome bar with a Zaku. Just hanging out. The owner speaks English, go say Hello! :)
 Haruka with a FAB wig and always melancholy Michiru.
 I've never seen this series, but he was super cute. And he was like BAM pose.
 THIIIIS cosplay. Similar to last year, cosplays that involve military gear (MGS, RE) are super popular and they seem to feature a lot of great looking older gents.
 Creepy enough for you? Don't worry, there's a man in uniform behind the Joker lol.
 I wasn't expecting to see Silent Hill cosplay (I think it tends to be more popular stateside), and in that almost freezing weather (it snowed a bit later on). Mad brownie points Pyramid Head. And maybe a hot chocolate.
 Shingeki no peek-a-boo.
 I was sooo happy to see Di-gi-Charat cosplyers! I adored that show back in the day :) Check it out!! It's hilarious~
 No cosplay event is complete without a fantastic Zoro.
 And a great Jack Sparrow!!
 Or a photo-bombing Reno. So spot-on. And I wasn't even trying to take the photo of him! He literally came out of nowhere.
 Mario Bros., winners of the easiest, bestest, most awesome sibling cosplay.
 Another cosplay that stirred all the elementary school anime feels. I just wish there was a Julian around somewhere..
 The FF cosplayers were out in full force! But Squall was the only one I saw from FFVIII...
 I don't know this cosplay.. But I have a cosplay crush on the chap with the purple hair.
 And there was a Space Dandy!! We met him in front of the bar, of course. Too bad there was no BOOBIES nearby..
 I got about half of the FFX members, though I figured Kimahri might be hard to find..
 And finally! A Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure cosplay!! ...At least, I think it is. I've been meaning to watch that series, I swear...

The rest of the photos will be on the tumblr, including, so feel free to reblog and share your favorites! Hopefully I'll have the video together this week..! :)


★Peaces★

EDIT:
Here is the video I mentioned before :) Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

No comments: